Friday, February 27, 2009

In wildness is your name.

The names of men are meaningless. I will not allow mere names to make distinctions for me. A familiar name cannot make a man less strange to me.

Some travelers tell us that an Indian had no name given him at first, but earned it, and among some tribes he acquired a new name with every new exploit.

We have a wild savage in us. So every man has an original wild name. An Indian retains in secret his own wild title earned in the woods. Our true names are nicknames.

A familiar name does not adhere to a man when in anger or aroused by any passion or inspiration. At such a time a man’s kin will confer his own wild title.

H.D. Thoreau, Walking (1861)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts Last 30 Days.

The week ahead in Henry’s journal

The week ahead in Henry’s journal
A journal, a book that shall contain a record of all your joy.
"A stone fruit. Each one yields me a thought." ~ H. D. Thoreau, March 28, 1859


I sit on this rock
wrestling with the melody
that possesses me.