Friday, March 10, 2023

A Book of the Seasons, Signs of the Spring: The Spring Note of the Chickadee

 


No mortal is alert enough to be present at the first dawn of the spring. 
Henry Thoreau, March 17, 1857

Chickadee passes
the news through all the forest --
spring is approaching.
February 21, 1855

On the first spring day
we first hear the pheobe note
of the chickadee.

Interesting that 
this winter bird has a note
to welcome the spring.
March 21, 1858



January 9.  Some chickadees come flitting close to me, and one utters its spring note, phe-be, for which I feel under obligations to him. January 9, 1858

February 9. The chickadees flew to me, as if glad to see me . . . I heard one wiry phe-be. February 9, 1854

February 9I hear a phoebe note from a chickadee. February 9, 1856

February 14.  The titmice keep up an incessant faint tinkling tchip; now and then one utters a lively day day day, and once or twice one commenced a gurgling strain quite novel, startling, and springlike. The chickadee has quite a variety of notes. The phebe one I did not hear to-day. February 14, 1854

February 21It is whispered through all the aisles of the forest that another spring is approaching. The wood mouse listens at the mouth of his burrow, and the chickadee passes the news along. February 21, 1855

February 23.   I have seen signs of the spring.  February 23, 1857

February 24.    I walk without a greatcoat. A chickadee with its winter lisp flits over, and I think it is time to hear its phebe note, and that instant it pipes it forth.  February 24, 1857

February 25.  I heard this morning a nuthatch on the elms in the street. I think that they are heard oftener and again at the approach of spring, just as the phoebe note of the chickadee is; and so their gnah gnah is a herald of the spring. February 25, 1859

March 1. The sunlight looks and feels warm, and a fine vapor fills the lower atmosphere. I hear the phoebe or spring note of the chickadee, and the scream of the jay is perfectly repeated by the echo from a neighboring wood.  March 1, 1854

March 1.  I hear several times the fine-drawn phe-be note of the chickadee, which I heard only once during the winter. Singular that I should hear this on the first spring day. March 1, 1856

March 8.   Heard the phebe, or spring note of the chickadee, now, before any spring bird has arrived. March 8, 1853

March 10.  Hear the phoebe note of the chickadee to-day for the first time.  I had at first heard their day-day-day ungratefully,- ah! you but carry my thoughts back to winter, - but anon I find that they too have become spring birds; they have changed their note. Even they feel the influence of spring. March 10, 1852

March 11.  Air full of birds, — bluebirds, song sparrows, chickadee (phoebe notes), and blackbirds. Bluebirds' warbling curls in elms.  March 11, 1854

March 13.  I hear only crows and blue jays and chickadees lisping. Excepting a few bluebirds and larks, no spring birds have come, apparently. The woods are still. March 13, 1853

March 14.  I see a flock of blackbirds and hear their conqueree. The ground is mostly bare now. Again I hear the chickadee's spring note. March 14, 1852

March 19.   Hear the phebe note of a chickadee. March 19, 1858

March 20. For two or three days I have heard the gobbling of turkeys, the first spring sound, after the chickadees  and hens, that I think of.  March 20, 1856

March 21.  Standing by the mud-hole in the swamp, I hear the pleasant phebe note of the chickadee. It is, methinks, the most of a wilderness note of any yet. It is peculiarly interesting that this, which is one of our winter birds also, should have a note with which to welcome the spring.  March 21, 1859

March 22. The jays scream. I hear the downy woodpecker’s rapid tapping and my first distinct spring note (phe-be) of the chickadee. March 22, 1855

March 22.  The phenomena of an average March . . .  About twenty-nine migratory birds arrive (including hawks and crows), and two or three more utter their spring notes and sounds, as nuthatch and chickadee, turkeys, and woodpecker tapping. March 22, 1860 


See also  A Book of the Seasons, by Henry Thoreau, Signs of the Spring:


A Book of the Seasons,  by Henry Thoreau, 
Signs of the Spring, the spring note of the chickadee
A Book of the Seasons,  by Henry Thoreau
 "A book, each page written in its own season, 
out-of-doors, in its own locality."
 ~edited, assembled and rewritten by zphx ©  2009-2024

tinyurl.com/hdt-springckdee

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts Last 30 Days.

The week ahead in Henry’s journal

The week ahead in Henry’s journal
A journal, a book that shall contain a record of all your joy.
"A stone fruit. Each one yields me a thought." ~ H. D. Thoreau, March 28, 1859


I sit on this rock
wrestling with the melody
that possesses me.