Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Blake’s Riff on Thoreau’s Dream

In the crucible of my celibate life
purified of all desire

I dreamed that Truth appeared to me, a beautiful mountain lion.

"Oh Truth," said I, "my love is pure." "But is it good?" was
Truth's reply.

She rode me through the wild night
burning like a fire.

In the crucible of my celibate life
I named her Simplify!

And this is what I learned that night:

Goodness, Truth and Beauty.
This was not a dream.

It seems that Men are all alike.
They all have one desire.

But Woman, Oh sweet Woman
is different every time.




Tyger! Tyger! burning bright in the forests of the night, what immortal hand or eye could frame thy fearful symmetry?

 




Zphx

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts Last 30 Days.

The week ahead in Henry’s journal

The week ahead in Henry’s journal
A journal, a book that shall contain a record of all your joy.
"A stone fruit. Each one yields me a thought." ~ H. D. Thoreau, March 28, 1859


I sit on this rock
wrestling with the melody
that possesses me.