Friday, May 29, 2009

Acorns sprouting

May 29.

Thorn bushes and the Ranunculus bulbosus are apparently in prime.


Coming out of Sleepy Hollow Cemetery today, where I had just been to deposit the corpse of a man, I pick up an oak tree three inches high with the acorn attached.

The republican swallow at Hosmer's barn just begun to lay.


H. D. Thoreau, Journal, May 29, 1859


The Ranunculus bulbosus are apparently in prime. See May 29, 1857 ("Ranunculus bulbosus in bloom."); May 17, 1856 ("Ranunculus bulbosils a day or two at least.")

An oak tree three inches high. See May 12, 1859 ("My red oak acorns have sent down long radicles underground.”)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts Last 30 Days.

The week ahead in Henry’s journal

The week ahead in Henry’s journal
A journal, a book that shall contain a record of all your joy.
"A stone fruit. Each one yields me a thought." ~ H. D. Thoreau, March 28, 1859


I sit on this rock
wrestling with the melody
that possesses me.