Tuesday, June 23, 2009

On the road to Gettysburg: "Be at home soon now if nothing happens. "

In June, 1863 a Confederate army of 75,000 men marched through the Shenandoah Valley into southern Pennsylvania. The Army of the Potomac, numbering 90,000 and now commanded by General George G. Meade, moved to check Lee's advance.


Union Mills June 25th 1863

Dear Lettie

We are all packed and just on another start and have just time to write a word. The last I wrote you a note we were just on a start to guard a Ford on Cedar Run Mill. We just as I said started until last night when we had orders to withdraw our picket and report to this place at once which we did, arriving about half past one o'clock this morning.

I traveled some 20 miles yesterday and last night and feel first rate today better fitted for another march than so I had lazed in camp until now.

It is now most noon and I have working just as hard as I can jump every since morning getting ready. Have given up all my stuff except a shirt, pair stockings, blanket and a few other things.

We have been transferred to the Army of Potomac 1st Corps under command of Genl. Reynolds. The whole brigade goes and we expect a lively campaign but it will be short -- less than a month.

It is expected we march at once. We are only waiting for 12th & 13th to come up. Shall write often as I can but you must not expect many when on such marches.

I feel first rate, had as well go there as any where for a short time. I don’t think there is much doubt but what we shall have fun soon.

George has got better and is going to Alexandria with some Express boxes today and follow us tomorrow or next day.

Read your kind letter of the 18th inst. this morning when I arrived in camp which I read with much pleasure before retiring. I have no time to notice its contents.

Don’t worry about me but think me all right and be happy. Be at home soon now if nothing happens. I shall think of you every minute and love you always. Let me hug and kiss you again and again as I bid you good bye my darling one.

Affectionately,
Elmer


Captain Elmer Duane Keyes, Company H, 16th Vermont Regiment, Letter from Union Mills, June 25, 1863

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts Last 30 Days.

The week ahead in Henry’s journal

The week ahead in Henry’s journal
A journal, a book that shall contain a record of all your joy.
"A stone fruit. Each one yields me a thought." ~ H. D. Thoreau, March 28, 1859


I sit on this rock
wrestling with the melody
that possesses me.