Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Do not ask for my afternoons

September 16.



I am invited to take some party of ladies or gentlemen on an excursion, -- to walk or sail, or the like. But by all kinds of evasions I omit it, and am thought to be rude. They do not consider that the wood-path and the boat are my studio, where I maintain a sacred solitude. They do not think of taking a child away from school to go a-huckleberrying. Why should not I, then, have my school and school hours to be respected? Ask me for a certain number of dollars if you will, but do not ask me for my afternoons.

H. D. Thoreau, Journal, September 16, 1859


They do not consider that the wood-path and the boat are my studio . . . See August 31, 1856 (“Some are so inconsiderate as to ask to walk or sail with me regularly every day”); November 25, 1857 (“There is no man with whom I can associate who will not, comparatively speaking, spoil my afternoon.”)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts Last 30 Days.

The week ahead in Henry’s journal

The week ahead in Henry’s journal
A journal, a book that shall contain a record of all your joy.
"A stone fruit. Each one yields me a thought." ~ H. D. Thoreau, March 28, 1859


I sit on this rock
wrestling with the melody
that possesses me.