Monday, November 30, 2009

In E. Hubbard's gray oak wood

November 30.

I see in E. Hubbard's gray oak wood, four rods from the old wall line and two or three rods over the brow of the hill, an apparent downy woodpecker's nest in a dead white oak stub some six feet high. It looks quite fresh, and I see by the very numerous fresh white chips of dead wood scattered over the recently fallen leaves beneath that it must have been made since the leaves fell.

This has been a very pleasant month, with quite a number of Indian-summer days, - a pleasanter month than October was. It is quite warm today, and as I go home at dusk on the railroad causeway, I hear a hylodes peeping.


H. D. Thoreau, Journal, November 30, 1859

This has been a very pleasant month, a pleasanter month than October was. See November 29, 1856 (“It has been a remarkably pleasant November, warmer and pleasanter than last year.”) See also A Book of the Seasons, by Henry Thoreau, Indian Summer

An apparent downy woodpecker's nest in a dead white oak, See January 5, 1860 (“I see where the downy woodpecker has worked lately by the chips of bark and rotten wood scattered over the snow, though I rarely see him in the winter. ”) See also A Book of the Seasons, by Henry Thoreau, The Downy Woodpecker

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts Last 30 Days.

The week ahead in Henry’s journal

The week ahead in Henry’s journal
A journal, a book that shall contain a record of all your joy.
"A stone fruit. Each one yields me a thought." ~ H. D. Thoreau, March 28, 1859


I sit on this rock
wrestling with the melody
that possesses me.