Monday, June 21, 2010

A cold wind.

June 21.

The wind is still northeast, and the air is now so cold (cooled by the rain) that most have fires, and it is uncomfortably cool out of the sun, which does not shine much this forenoon.

At 12 m. it is only 59° above zero, and I am surprised to hear some toads ring, which I have not heard lately by day; as if this degree of coolness is agreeable to them.

At noon the sun comes fairly out and the wind rises, now blowing quite strong from the northeast.

H. D. Thoreau, Journal,  June 21, 1860

I am surprised to hear some toads ring, as if this degree of coolness is agreeable to them. Compare June 21, 1852 ("I hear neither toads nor bullfrogs at present; they want a warmer night. ")

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts Last 30 Days.

The week ahead in Henry’s journal

The week ahead in Henry’s journal
A journal, a book that shall contain a record of all your joy.
"A stone fruit. Each one yields me a thought." ~ H. D. Thoreau, March 28, 1859


I sit on this rock
wrestling with the melody
that possesses me.