Wednesday, August 25, 2010

To Clamshell.



August 25.

See a large hen-hawk sailing over Hubbard's meadow and Clamshell, soaring very high and toward the north. At last it returns southward, at that height impelling itself steadily and swiftly forward, with its wings set without apparent motion, it thus moves half a mile directly.

As I row by, see a green bittern nearby standing erect on Monroe's boat. Finding that it is observed, it draws in its head and stoops to conceal itself. It allows me to approach so near, apparently being deceived by some tame ducks there. When it flies it seems to have no tail.

H. D. Thoreau, Journal, August 25, 1860

A large hen-hawk sailing over Hubbard's meadow and Clamshell, soaring very high . . .See August 24, 1854 ("Now, methinks, hawks are decidedly more common, beating the bush and soaring. I see two circling over the Cliffs.")

As I row by, see a green bittern nearby standing erect on Monroe's boat. . . . When it flies it seems to have no tail. See August 25, 1852("The great bittern is still about, but silent and shy.") and note to July 30, 1856 ("a green bittern crosses in my rear with heavy flapping flight, its legs dangling, not observing me. It looks deep slate-blue above, yellow legs, whitish streak along throat and breast, and slowly plows the air with its prominent breast-bone, like the stake-driver."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts Last 30 Days.

The week ahead in Henry’s journal

The week ahead in Henry’s journal
A journal, a book that shall contain a record of all your joy.
"A stone fruit. Each one yields me a thought." ~ H. D. Thoreau, March 28, 1859


I sit on this rock
wrestling with the melody
that possesses me.