Sunday, September 12, 2010

Whistling in the Dark

September 12.

Very heavy rain to-day (equinoctial), raising the river suddenly. A dark and stormy night (after it). Where the fence is not painted white I can see nothing, and go whistling for fear I run against some one. Walking with my hands out to feel the fences and trees I come against a stone post and bruise my knees.

H. D. Thoreau, Journal, September 12, 1860


Very heavy rain to - day ( equinoctial ) , raising the river suddenly . I have said , within a week , that the river would rise this fall because it did not at all in the spring , and now it rises . A very dark and stormy night ( after it ) ; shops but half open . Where the fence is not painted white I can see nothing , and go whistling for fear I run against some one , though there is little danger that any one will be out . I come against a stone post and bruise my knees ; then stumble over a bridge , — being in the gutter . You walk with your hands out to feel the fences and trees . There is no vehicle in the street to - night . The thermometer at 4 P . M . was 54° . There was pretty high wind in the night .

I can see nothing, and go whistling for fear I run against some one. See September 18, 1857 ("it was exceedingly dark. I met two persons within a mile, and they were obliged to call out from a rod distant lest we should run against each other. ")

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts Last 30 Days.

The week ahead in Henry’s journal

The week ahead in Henry’s journal
A journal, a book that shall contain a record of all your joy.
"A stone fruit. Each one yields me a thought." ~ H. D. Thoreau, March 28, 1859


I sit on this rock
wrestling with the melody
that possesses me.