Tuesday, October 19, 2010

White oak failure


October 19.

That white oak in Hubbard Grove which on the 7th was full of those glossy black acorns is still hanging full, to my surprise. Suspecting the cause, I proceed to cut them open, and find that they are all decayed or decaying. The squirrels are wiser than to gather these.

First, then, I was surprised at the abundance of the crop this year. Secondly, by the time I had got accustomed to that fact I am surprised at the vast proportion that were killed, apparently by frost.


It is a remarkable fact, and looks like a glaring imperfection in Nature, that the labor of the oaks for the year should be lost to this extent. The softening or freezing of cranberries, the rotting of potatoes, etc., etc., seem trifling in comparison. The pigeons, jays, squirrels, and woodlands are thus impoverished.

It is hard to say what great purpose is served by this seeming waste.


H. D. Thoreau, Journal,  October 19,1860

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts Last 30 Days.

The week ahead in Henry’s journal

The week ahead in Henry’s journal
A journal, a book that shall contain a record of all your joy.
"A stone fruit. Each one yields me a thought." ~ H. D. Thoreau, March 28, 1859


I sit on this rock
wrestling with the melody
that possesses me.