Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Winter catkins.

January 5.

The catkins of the alders are now frozen stiff ! !

H. D. Thoreau, Journal,  January 5, 1851

See January 10, 1858 ("If you are sick and despairing, go forth in winter and see the red alder catkins dangling at the extremities of the twigs, all in the wintry air, like long, hard mulberries, promising a new spring and the fulfillment of all our hopes. . . . the sight of a mulberry-like red catkin which I know has a dormant life in it, seemingly greater than my own.”)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts Last 30 Days.

The week ahead in Henry’s journal

The week ahead in Henry’s journal
A journal, a book that shall contain a record of all your joy.
"A stone fruit. Each one yields me a thought." ~ H. D. Thoreau, March 28, 1859


I sit on this rock
wrestling with the melody
that possesses me.