Thursday, January 13, 2011

It is something to know when I am addressed by Divinity, a god who follows me down cellar to speak to me.


January 10.


I went down cellar 
just now 
to get an armful of wood

and, passing the brick piers 
with my 
wood and candle, 

I heard,
methought,
a commonplace suggestion,

but when, 
as it were by accident,
I reverently attended to the hint,
 
I found that it was the voice of a god.



H. D. Thoreau, Journal, January, 1851

It is something to know when you are addressed by Divinity and not by a common traveller. I went down cellar just now to get an armful of wood and, passing the brick piers with my wood and candle, I heard, methought, a commonplace suggestion, but when, as it were by accident, I reverently attended to the hint, I found that it was the voice of a god who had followed me down cellar to speak to me. How many communications may we not lose through inattention!



A Book of the Seasons,  by Henry Thoreau
"A book, each page written in its own season,
out-of-doors, in its own locality.”
~edited, assembled and rewritten by zphx © 2009-2022

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts Last 30 Days.

The week ahead in Henry’s journal

The week ahead in Henry’s journal
A journal, a book that shall contain a record of all your joy.
"A stone fruit. Each one yields me a thought." ~ H. D. Thoreau, March 28, 1859


I sit on this rock
wrestling with the melody
that possesses me.