Sunday, July 24, 2011

The morning after a debauch.

July 24.

5 A.M. - The street and fields betray the drought and look more parched than at noon; they look as I feel, -- languid and thin and feeling my nerves. The effects of drought are never more apparent than at dawn. 

Nature is like a hen panting with open mouth, in the grass, as the morning after a debauch.

H. D. Thoreau, Journal, July 24, 1851


Compare July 18, 1854 ("A hot midsummer day with a sultry mistiness in the air . . .The atmosphere now imparts a bluish or glaucous tinge to the distant trees. A certain debauched look. This a crisis in the season.")

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts Last 30 Days.

The week ahead in Henry’s journal

The week ahead in Henry’s journal
A journal, a book that shall contain a record of all your joy.
"A stone fruit. Each one yields me a thought." ~ H. D. Thoreau, March 28, 1859


I sit on this rock
wrestling with the melody
that possesses me.