Sunday, January 1, 2012

Working on the Walden manuscript

January 1.

One mood is the natural critic of another. When possessed with a strong feeling on any subject foreign to the one I may be writing on, I know very well what of good and what of bad I have written. It looks to me now as it will ten years hence.  In the light of a strong feeling, all things take their places, and truth of every kind is seen for such. My life is then earnest and will tolerate no makeshifts nor nonsense. What is tinsel or euphuism or irrelevant is revealed to such a touchstone.  Now let me read my verses, and I will tell you if the god has had a hand in them. 


I wish to survey my composition for a moment from the least favorable point of view. I wish to be translated to the future  to observe what portions of my work have crumbled.


H. D. Thoreau, Journal, January 1, 1852

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts Last 30 Days.

The week ahead in Henry’s journal

The week ahead in Henry’s journal
A journal, a book that shall contain a record of all your joy.
"A stone fruit. Each one yields me a thought." ~ H. D. Thoreau, March 28, 1859


I sit on this rock
wrestling with the melody
that possesses me.