Monday, May 7, 2012

The first wave of summer from the south..

May 7.

4.30 A.M. -To Cliffs.  Heard a robin singing powerfully an hour ago, and song sparrows, and the cocks. Beginning, I may say, with robins, song sparrows, chip-birds, bluebirds, etc., I walk through larks, pewees, pigeon woodpeckers, chickadees, towhees, huckleberry-birds, wood thrushes, brown thrasher, jay, catbird, etc., etc. Enter a cool stratum of air beyond Hayden’s. Hear the first partridge drum. 

The first oven-bird. 

There appear to be one or more little warblers in the woods this morning which are new to the season, about which I am in doubt, myrtlebirds among them. For now, before the leaves, they begin to people the trees in this warm weather. The first wave of summer from the south.

H. D. Thoreau, Journal  May 7, 1852

The first oven-bird. See May 7, 1853 ("The woods now begin to ring with the woodland note of the oven-bird.") See also May 1, 1852 (" I think I heard an oven-bird just now, - wicher wicher whicher wich."); May 4, 1855 ("In cut woods a small thrush, with crown inclining to rufous, tail foxy, and edges of wings dark-ash; clear white beneath. I think the golden-crowned?");   May 16, 1858 ("A golden-crowned thrush hops quite near. It is quite small, about the size of the creeper, with the upper part of its breast thickly and distinctly pencilled with black, a tawny head; and utters now only a sharp cluck for a chip."); June 7, 1853 ("The oven-bird runs from her covered nest, so close to the ground under the lowest twigs and leaves, even the loose leaves on the ground, like a mouse, that I can not get a fair view of her. She does not fly at all. Is it to attract me, or partly to protect herself ?  "); June 19, 1858 (" See an oven-bird's nest with two eggs and one young one just hatched. The bird flits out low, and is, I think, the same kind that I saw flit along the ground and trail her wings to lead me off day before yesterday") July 3, 1853  ("The oven-bird's nest in Laurel Glen is near the edge of an open pine wood, under a fallen pine twig and a heap of dry oak leaves. Within these, on the ground, is the nest, with a dome-like top and an arched entrance of the whole height and width on one side. Lined within with dry pine-needles"). See also A Book of the Seasons,  by Henry Thoreau, The Oven-bird

Warblers in the woods this morning which are new to the season . . . See May 28, 1855 ("I have seen within three or four days two or three new warblers “); May 15, 1860 ("Deciduous woods now swarm with migrating warblers, especially about swamps.”)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts Last 30 Days.

The week ahead in Henry’s journal

The week ahead in Henry’s journal
A journal, a book that shall contain a record of all your joy.
"A stone fruit. Each one yields me a thought." ~ H. D. Thoreau, March 28, 1859


I sit on this rock
wrestling with the melody
that possesses me.