Monday, June 11, 2012

You must attend to the birds in the spring.


June 11.

I hear the bobolink and the lark as I go down the railroad causeway. The cricket sings. The red-eye sings now in the woods, perhaps more than any other bird. (In the shanty field.) The mountains are misty and blue.  A robin sings and wood thrush amid the pine. The air in this pitch pine wood is filled with the hum of gnats, flies, and mosquitoes. The veery reminds me of the wood thrush in its note, as well as form and color. The oven-bird and the thrasher sing. The last has a sort of chuckle. 

You must attend to the birds in the spring.


Golden crowned thrush (oven-bird)


H. D. Thoreau, Journal, June 11, 1852

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts Last 30 Days.

The week ahead in Henry’s journal

The week ahead in Henry’s journal
A journal, a book that shall contain a record of all your joy.
"A stone fruit. Each one yields me a thought." ~ H. D. Thoreau, March 28, 1859


I sit on this rock
wrestling with the melody
that possesses me.