Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Signs of Fall


September 18.

The poor student begins now to seek the sun. In the forenoons I move into a chamber on the east side of the house, and so follow the sun round. It is agreeable to stand in a new relation to the sun. They begin to have a fire occasionally below-stairs. 

The goldenrods have generally lost their brightness. Methinks the asters were in their prime four or five days ago. There are many large toadstools, pecked apparently by birds.

The robins of late fly in flocks, and I hear them oftener. The partridges, grown up, oftener burst away. 

The crows congregate and pursue me through the half-covered woodland path, cawing loud and angrily above me, and when they cease, I hear the winnowing sound of their wings.


H.D. Thoreau, Journal, September 18, 1852


They begin to have a fire occasionally below-stairs.  See September 11, 1853 ("Cool weather. Sit with windows shut, and many by fires. . . .The air has got an autumnal coolness which it will not get rid of again.”); September 21, 1854 ("The forenoon is cold, and I have a fire, but it is a fine clear day, as I find when I come forth to walk in the afternoon.”)

In the forenoons I move into a chamber on the east side of the house, and so follow the sun round. See September 17, 1858 (“Cooler weather now for two or three days, so that I am glad to sit in the sun on the east side of the house mornings.”)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts Last 30 Days.

The week ahead in Henry’s journal

The week ahead in Henry’s journal
A journal, a book that shall contain a record of all your joy.
"A stone fruit. Each one yields me a thought." ~ H. D. Thoreau, March 28, 1859


I sit on this rock
wrestling with the melody
that possesses me.