Friday, September 21, 2012

Wild apples




















September 21. 

As I walk through the maple swamp by the Corner Spring, I am surprised to see apples on the ground. At first I suppose that somebody has dropped them, but, looking up, I detect a wild apple tree, as tall and slender as the young maples and not more than five inches in diameter at the ground. This has blossomed and borne fruit this year. The apples are quite mellow and of a very agreeable flavor, though they have a rusty-scraperish look, and I fill my pockets with them. The squirrels have found them out before me. It is an agreeable surprise to find in the midst of a swamp so large and edible a fruit as an apple.

H. D. Thoreau, Journal, September 21, 1852

"My friend is he who can make a good guess at me,
hit me on the wing."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts Last 30 Days.

The week ahead in Henry’s journal

The week ahead in Henry’s journal
A journal, a book that shall contain a record of all your joy.
"A stone fruit. Each one yields me a thought." ~ H. D. Thoreau, March 28, 1859


I sit on this rock
wrestling with the melody
that possesses me.