Wednesday, November 28, 2012

I find acorns which have sent a shoot down into the earth this fall.


November 27

Almost an Indian-summer day. 

The shrub oaks and the sprouts make woods you can look down on. They are now our rustling gardens.  

I find acorns which have sent a shoot down into the earth this fall.

H. D. Thoreau, Journal, November 27, 1852

The shrub oaks . . . are now our rustling gardens. See December 1, 1856 (“I love and could embrace the shrub oak with its scanty garment of leaves rising above the snow, lowly whispering to me, akin to winter thoughts, and sunsets, and to all virtue. ”)

I find acorns which have sent a shoot down into the earth this fall. See   October 7, 1860 ("I see one small but spreading white oak full of acorns just falling and ready to fall. . . . Some that have fallen have already split and sprouted.”);  October 17,1857 (“Glossy-brown white oak acorns strew the ground thickly, many of them sprouted. How soon they have sprouted!”); and note to  November 24, 1860 ("Under the two white oaks by the second wall south east of my house, on the east side the wall, I am surprised to find a great many sound acorns still, though everyone is sprouted, . . . each with its radicle two inches long penetrated into the earth"); See also April 19, 1856 (“I notice acorns sprouted.”); April 29, 1852 ("The acorns among the leaves are sprouted, the shells open and the blushing (red) meat exposed at the sprout end, where the sprout is already turning toward the earth.”); May 12, 1859 ("My red oak acorns have sent down long radicles underground.”) May 29, 1859 ("Coming out of Sleepy Hollow Cemetery today, where I had just been to deposit the corpse of a man, I pick up an oak tree three inches high with the acorn attached.");

 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts Last 30 Days.

The week ahead in Henry’s journal

The week ahead in Henry’s journal
A journal, a book that shall contain a record of all your joy.
"A stone fruit. Each one yields me a thought." ~ H. D. Thoreau, March 28, 1859


I sit on this rock
wrestling with the melody
that possesses me.