Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Signs of Winter

November 21.

I am surprised this afternoon to find the river skimmed over in some places, and Fair Haven Pond one-third frozen or skimmed over, though commonly there is scarcely any ice to be observed along the shores.

The commonest bird I see and hear nowadays is that little red crowned or fronted bird I described the 13th. I hear now more music from them. They have a mewing note which reminds me of a canary-bird. They make very good forerunners of winter. Is it not the ruby crowned wren?*


*Lesser Redpoll

H. D. Thoreau, Journal, November 21, 1852



I am surprised this afternoon to find the river skimmed over. . . .See November 23, 1850 ("If I am surprised to find ice on the sides of the brooks, I am much more surprised to find a pond in the woods, containing an acre or more, quite frozen over so that I walk across it. It is in a cold corner, where a pine wood excludes the sun."); November 23, 1852 ("I am surprised to see Fair Haven entirely skimmed over."); November 30. 1855 ("River skimmed over behind Dodd’s and elsewhere. Got in my boat. River remained iced over all day.")


That little red crowned or fronted bird . . . forerunners of winter. See December 11, 1855 ("Standing there, though in this bare November landscape, I am reminded of the incredible phenomenon of small birds in winter. ... The age of miracles is each moment thus returned. Now it is wild apples, now river reflections, now a flock of lesser redpolls.")

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts Last 30 Days.

The week ahead in Henry’s journal

The week ahead in Henry’s journal
A journal, a book that shall contain a record of all your joy.
"A stone fruit. Each one yields me a thought." ~ H. D. Thoreau, March 28, 1859


I sit on this rock
wrestling with the melody
that possesses me.