Tuesday, April 23, 2013

The parallax of everyday life.

Jane and I hike to the upper view arriving just after sunset. The sky is cloudless. 33 degrees and clear. The horizon dark orange grading to yellow and yellow green light green and then blue dark blue and dark purple straight overhead.

Jupiter is first visible in the west and I realize (from my iPhone) that Jupiter is still in the constellation Taurus just like it was last fall when we were at the moss ledge looking directly east after dark.


Suddenly everything snaps into place. My back is to the wind created by the earth's movement round the sun. 

And along the ecliptic curve -- somewhere in the light green between the sun and Jupiter -- I rapidly leave behind that spot the earth was six months ago, that moment watching Jupiter rise.


And here I am now. The parallax of everyday life.

ZPHX ~20130422

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts Last 30 Days.

The week ahead in Henry’s journal

The week ahead in Henry’s journal
A journal, a book that shall contain a record of all your joy.
"A stone fruit. Each one yields me a thought." ~ H. D. Thoreau, March 28, 1859


I sit on this rock
wrestling with the melody
that possesses me.