Monday, May 13, 2013

The tanager is arrived.

May 13.

Methinks I hear and see the tanager now. 

A robin's nest, with young, on the causeway. 

At Corner Spring, stood listening to a catbird, sounding a good way off. Was surprised to detect the singer within a rod and a half on a low twig, the ventriloquist. Should not have believed it was he, if I had not seen the movements of his throat, corresponding to each note, -looking at this near singer whose notes sounded so far away.

H. D. Thoreau, Journal, May 13, 1853

Methinks I hear and see the tanager now. See May 15, 1856 (“. . . thought it was the tanager I heard? ”); May 18, 1851("The scarlet tanagers are come.”). See also A Book of Seasons,  by Henry Thoreau, the Scarlet Tanager

Stood listening to a catbird. . . whose notes sounded so far away.
See May 13, 1855 (“ Hear the first catbird, more clear and tinkling than the thrasher.”)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts Last 30 Days.

The week ahead in Henry’s journal

The week ahead in Henry’s journal
A journal, a book that shall contain a record of all your joy.
"A stone fruit. Each one yields me a thought." ~ H. D. Thoreau, March 28, 1859


I sit on this rock
wrestling with the melody
that possesses me.