Monday, October 21, 2013

Three dusky ducks


October 20. 

October 20, 2013
At Beck Stow's surveying, thinking to step upon a leafy shore from a rail, I get into water more than a foot deep.  While wringing my wet stockings, I hear a rush of wings, look up, and see three dusky ducks swiftly circling over the small water. 

They round far away, but soon return and settle within about four rods. They first survey the spot. Wonder they do not see me. 

At first they are suspicious, hold up their heads and sail about. Do they not see me through the thin border of leafless bushes? At last one dips his bill, and they begin to feed amid the pads. I suddenly rise, and  instantly they dive as at a flash, then at once rise again and all go off, with a low wiry note.

H. D. Thoreau, Journal, October 20, 1853

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts Last 30 Days.

The week ahead in Henry’s journal

The week ahead in Henry’s journal
A journal, a book that shall contain a record of all your joy.
"A stone fruit. Each one yields me a thought." ~ H. D. Thoreau, March 28, 1859


I sit on this rock
wrestling with the melody
that possesses me.