Monday, November 4, 2013

The fertile catkins of the yellow birch

November 4.
November 4, 2013
To Hubbard's Close. I find no traces of the fringed gentian here, so that in low meadows I suspect it does not last very late. 

Hear a nuthatch. 

The fertile catkins of the yellow birch appear to be in the same state with those of the white, and their scales are also shaped like birds, but much larger.

H. D. Thoreau, Journal, November 4, 1853

The fertile catkins of the yellow birch appear to be in the same state with those of the white . . . See November 1, 1853 ("The white birch seeds begin to fall and leave the core bare.”)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts Last 30 Days.

The week ahead in Henry’s journal

The week ahead in Henry’s journal
A journal, a book that shall contain a record of all your joy.
"A stone fruit. Each one yields me a thought." ~ H. D. Thoreau, March 28, 1859


I sit on this rock
wrestling with the melody
that possesses me.