Friday, November 15, 2013

To Fair Haven Hill and by boat to witch-hazel bush

November 15.
November 15, 2013

After yesterday's clear, windy weather we have to-day less wind and much haze. It is Indian-summer-like. The river has risen yet higher than last night, so that I cut across Hubbard's meadow with ease. Take up a witch-hazel with still some fresh blossoms.

At sundown, on the water, I hear come booming up the river what I suppose is the sound of cannon fired in Lowell to celebrate the Whig victory, the voting down the new Constitution. Perchance no one else in Concord hears them, and it is remarkable that I hear them, who is only interested in the natural phenomenon of sound borne far over water. 

Just after sundown, the waters become suddenly smooth, and the clear yellow light of the western sky is handsomely reflected in the water, making it doubly light to me on the water, diffusing light from below as well as above.


H. D. Thoreau, Journal, November 15, 1853


The clear yellow light of the western sky . . .reflected in the water . . . See November 15, 1859 ("The clouds were never more fairly reflected in the water than now,. . .")

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts Last 30 Days.

The week ahead in Henry’s journal

The week ahead in Henry’s journal
A journal, a book that shall contain a record of all your joy.
"A stone fruit. Each one yields me a thought." ~ H. D. Thoreau, March 28, 1859


I sit on this rock
wrestling with the melody
that possesses me.