Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Bitter cold.


January 29.

A very cold morning. Thermometer, or mercury, 18° below zero.

Tonight I feel it stinging cold as I come up the street at 9 o'clock; it bites my ears and face, but the stars shine all the brighter.

H. D. Thoreau, Journal, January 29, 1854


Thermometer, or mercury, 18° below zero. See February 6, 1855 ("They say it did not rise above -6° to-day.”); January 9, 1856 ("Probably it has been below zero for the greater part of the day."); January 23, 1857 (The coldest day that I remember recording. . .")

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts Last 30 Days.

The week ahead in Henry’s journal

The week ahead in Henry’s journal
A journal, a book that shall contain a record of all your joy.
"A stone fruit. Each one yields me a thought." ~ H. D. Thoreau, March 28, 1859


I sit on this rock
wrestling with the melody
that possesses me.