Friday, January 17, 2014

Kindred rocks

January 17.




Janiuary 17, 2020

Surveying for William O. Benjamin in east part of Lincoln. Saw a red squirrel on the wall, it being thawing weather. 

Human beings with whom I have no sympathy are far stranger to me than inanimate matter, — rocks or earth. Looking on the last, I feel comparatively as if I were with my kindred.

H. D. Thoreau, Journal, January 17, 1854

Saw a red squirrel on the wall. See January 17, 1860 ("They seem to select for their own abode a hillside where there are half a dozen rather large and thick white pines near enough together for their aerial travelling,"); See also Henry Thoreau, A Book of the Seasons, The Red Squirrel.

I feel as if rocks or earth were my kindred. See January 14, 1852 ("We are related to all nature, animate and inanimate"); August 30 1856 (“I believe almost in the personality of such planetary matter.); February 20, 1857 ("I am that rock by the pond-side.")

Janauary 7. See A Book of the Seasons, by Henry Thoreau, January 17

January 17, 2023

A Book of the Seasons,  by Henry Thoreau
 "A book, each page written in its own season, 
out-of-doors, in its own locality."
 ~edited, assembled and rewritten by zphx ©  2009-2024

tinyurl.com/hdt18540117

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts Last 30 Days.

The week ahead in Henry’s journal

The week ahead in Henry’s journal
A journal, a book that shall contain a record of all your joy.
"A stone fruit. Each one yields me a thought." ~ H. D. Thoreau, March 28, 1859


I sit on this rock
wrestling with the melody
that possesses me.