Monday, March 31, 2014

Injunctions on editing "Walden"


March 31.

In criticising your writing, trust your fine instinct.  There are many things which we come very near questioning, but do not question. When I have sent off my manuscripts to the printer, certain objectionable sentences or expressions are sure to obtrude themselves on my attention with force, though I had not consciously suspected them before. My critical instinct then at once breaks the ice and comes to the surface.

H. D. Thoreau, Journal, March 31, 1854

When I have sent off my manuscripts to the printer, certain objectionable sentences or expressions are sure to obtrude themselves on my attention. See March 28, 1854 ("Got first proof of "Walden.””); April 8, 1854 ("I find that I can criticise my composition best when I stand at a little distance from it. . .and judge it more impartially when my manuscript is out of the way");  See also January 1, 1852 ("When possessed with a strong feeling on any subject foreign to the one I may be writing on, I know very well what of good and what of bad I have written."); March 1, 1854 (" In correcting my manuscripts, . . . having purified the main body and thus created a distinct standard for comparison, I can review the rejected sentences and easily detect those which deserve to be readmitted."); February 20, 1859 ("It is the greatest art to find out as quickly as possible which are the best passages you have written, and tear the rest away."); 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts Last 30 Days.

The week ahead in Henry’s journal

The week ahead in Henry’s journal
A journal, a book that shall contain a record of all your joy.
"A stone fruit. Each one yields me a thought." ~ H. D. Thoreau, March 28, 1859


I sit on this rock
wrestling with the melody
that possesses me.