Saturday, March 15, 2014

Three sounds and a sign of Spring.

March 15. 

Pleasant morning, unexpectedly. 


Hear on the alders by the river the lill lill lill lill of the first F. hyemalis, mingled with song sparrows and tree sparrows. 

The sound of Barrett's sawmill in the still morning comes over the water very loud. 

I hear that peculiar, interesting loud hollow tapping of a woodpecker from over the water. 

Paint my boat.

H. D. Thoreau, Journal, March 15, 1854


The first F. hyemalis, mingled with song sparrows and tree sparrows. See March 14, 1858 (I see a Fringilla hyemalis . . . They are now getting back earlier than our permanent summer residents.") See also A Book of the Seasons, by Henry Thoreau, The Dark-eyed Junco and A Book of the Seasons, by Henry Thoreau, Signs of the Spring: The Note of the Dark-eyed Junco Going Northward

The sound of Barrett's sawmill in the still morning. See May 8, 1857 ("I hear the sound of Barrett's sawmill with singular distinctness."); December 17, 1855 (" I hear the sound of the sawmill even at the door, also the cawing of crows.")

I hear that peculiar, interesting loud hollow tapping of a woodpecker from over the water. See March 11, 1859 (“But methinks the sound of the woodpecker tapping is as much a spring note as any these mornings; it echoes peculiarly in the air of a spring morning.”); March 13, 1855 ("I hear the rapid tapping of the woodpecker from over the water."); March 18, 1853 ("The tapping of the woodpecker about this time.”). See also A Book of the Seasons, by Henry Thoreau, Spring sounds. Woodpeckers Tapping; See also A Book of the Seasons, by Henry Thoreau, Signs of the Spring: woodpeckers tapping

Paint my boat. See February 26, 1857 (“Paint the bottom of my boat.”); March 9, 1855 (“Painted the bottom of my boat.”);  March 12, 1854 ("Men are eager to launch their boats and paddle over the meadows.");  March 18, 1854 ("Took up my boat, a very heavy one, which was lying on its bottom in the yard, and carried it two rods."); March 22, 1854 ("Launch boat and paddle to Fair Haven. Still very cold. ")

March 15. See A Book of the Seasons, by Henry Thoreau, March 15 

A Book of the Seasons, by Henry Thoreau
"A book, each page written in its own season,
out-of-doors, in its own locality.”
~edited, assembled and rewritten by zphx © 2009-2024

https://tinyurl.com/hdt-540315

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts Last 30 Days.

The week ahead in Henry’s journal

The week ahead in Henry’s journal
A journal, a book that shall contain a record of all your joy.
"A stone fruit. Each one yields me a thought." ~ H. D. Thoreau, March 28, 1859


I sit on this rock
wrestling with the melody
that possesses me.