Wednesday, April 2, 2014

At Nut Meadow Brook rainy days, past springs

April 2.

The radical leaves of some plants appear to have started, look brighter. The shepherd's-purse, and plainly the skunk-cabbage. 

In the brook there is the least possible springing yet. A little yellow lily in the ditch and sweet flag starting in the brook.  

I was sitting on the rail over the brook, when I heard something which reminded me of the song of the robin in rainy days in past springs. Why is it that not the note itself, but something which reminds me of it, should affect me most?

H. D. Thoreau, Journal, April 2, 1854

I hear something which reminds me of the song of the robin in rainy days in past springs. See April 2, 1852 ("The clouds, the showers, and the breaking away now in the west, all belong to the summer side of the year and remind me of long-past days.”)   See also A Book of the Seasons, by Henry Thoreau, Robins in Spring

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts Last 30 Days.

The week ahead in Henry’s journal

The week ahead in Henry’s journal
A journal, a book that shall contain a record of all your joy.
"A stone fruit. Each one yields me a thought." ~ H. D. Thoreau, March 28, 1859


I sit on this rock
wrestling with the melody
that possesses me.