Wednesday, May 21, 2014

Cobwebs on grass.

May 21

A slight fog in morning.  Cobwebs on grass, the first I have noticed. This is one of the late phenomena of spring. These little dewy nets or gauze, a faery's washing spread out in the night, are associated with the finest days of the year, days long enough and fair enough for the worthiest deeds. When these begin to be seen, then is not summer come?

H. D. Thoreau, Journal, May 21, 1854

Cobwebs on grass . . .the finest days of the year, days long enough and fair enough for the worthiest deeds. See May 24, 1854(“The morning came in and awakened me early, — for I slept with a window open. There are dewy cobwebs on the grass.”); July 18, 1852 {"This is a fit morning for any adventure. It is one of those everlasting mornings, with cobwebs on the grass, which are provided for long enterprises.")

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts Last 30 Days.

The week ahead in Henry’s journal

The week ahead in Henry’s journal
A journal, a book that shall contain a record of all your joy.
"A stone fruit. Each one yields me a thought." ~ H. D. Thoreau, March 28, 1859


I sit on this rock
wrestling with the melody
that possesses me.