Saturday, July 5, 2014

A dark-colored spear-head

July 5.

Another very hot night, and scarcely any dew this morning.  

P.M. -- To White Pond. One hundred and nine swallows on telegraph-wire at bridge within eight rods, and others flying about. 

On Lupine Knoll pick up a dark-colored spear-head three and a half inches long, lying on the bare sand; so hot that I can not long hold it tight in my hand.

H. D. Thoreau, Journal, July 5, 1854

One hundred and nine swallows on telegraph-wire See July 29, 1858 ("I see nowadays . . . young swallows on the telegraph wire.")

On Lupine Knoll pick up a dark-colored spear-head. See July 5, 1857 ("At Clamshell I found three arrowheads and a small Indian chisel for my guests.")

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts Last 30 Days.

The week ahead in Henry’s journal

The week ahead in Henry’s journal
A journal, a book that shall contain a record of all your joy.
"A stone fruit. Each one yields me a thought." ~ H. D. Thoreau, March 28, 1859


I sit on this rock
wrestling with the melody
that possesses me.