Saturday, September 20, 2014

Windy rain-storm last night

September 20.

Windy rain-storm last night. 

See to-day quite a flock of what I think must be rusty grackles about the willows and button-bushes.

H. D. Thoreau, Journal, September 20, 1854

Windy rain-storm last night. See note to September 20, 1857 ("This is our first fall rain, and makes a dividing line between the summer and fall.")

See to-day quite a flock of what I think must be rusty grackles See September 20, 1859 ("A blackbird on an apple tree, singing with the grackle note very earnestly and not minding me. He is all alone. Has a (rustyish) brown head and shoulders and the rest black. I think it is a grackle. Is this a grackle come from its northern breeding-place?")

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts Last 30 Days.

The week ahead in Henry’s journal

The week ahead in Henry’s journal
A journal, a book that shall contain a record of all your joy.
"A stone fruit. Each one yields me a thought." ~ H. D. Thoreau, March 28, 1859


I sit on this rock
wrestling with the melody
that possesses me.