Saturday, October 25, 2014

A calm afternoon

October 25.

On Assabet. 

The maples being bare, the great hornet nests are exposed. 

A beautiful, calm Indian-summer afternoon, the withered reeds on the brink reflected in the water.

H. D. Thoreau, Journal, October 25, 1854


The great hornet nests are exposed.
See  October 4, 1858 ("Hornets are still at work in their nests."); October 15, 1855 (“The hornets’ nests are exposed, the maples being bare, but the hornets are gone.”); October 24, 1858 ("That large hornets’ nest which I saw on the 4th is now deserted, and I bring it home. But in the evening, warmed by my fire, two or three come forth and crawl over it, and I make haste to throw it out the window.") See also September 25, 1851 ("The hornets' nest not brown but gray, two shades, whitish and dark, alternating on the outer layers or the covering, giving it a waved appearance.")

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts Last 30 Days.

The week ahead in Henry’s journal

The week ahead in Henry’s journal
A journal, a book that shall contain a record of all your joy.
"A stone fruit. Each one yields me a thought." ~ H. D. Thoreau, March 28, 1859


I sit on this rock
wrestling with the melody
that possesses me.