Tuesday, October 28, 2014

The woods begin to look bare

October 28, 2014
October. 28

The woods begin to look bare, reflected in the water, and I look far in between the stems of the trees under the bank. Birches, which began to change and fall so early, are still in many places yellow.




H. D. Thoreau, Journal, October 28, 1854

Birches . . . are still in many places yellow. See October 22, 1855 ("I see at a distance the scattered birch-tops, like yellow flames amid the pines,"); October 26, 1860 ("This is the season of birch spangles, when you see afar a few clear-yellow leaves left on the tops of the birches.")

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts Last 30 Days.

The week ahead in Henry’s journal

The week ahead in Henry’s journal
A journal, a book that shall contain a record of all your joy.
"A stone fruit. Each one yields me a thought." ~ H. D. Thoreau, March 28, 1859


I sit on this rock
wrestling with the melody
that possesses me.