Tuesday, December 2, 2014

A sign of Winter

December 2.

Got up my boat and housed it, ice having formed about it.

H. D. Thoreau, Journal, December 2, 1854

See December 2, 1852 ("I do not remember when I have taken a sail or a row on the river in December before.”);  December 2, 1856 ("Got in my boat, which before I had got out and turned up on the bank.") See also November 26, 1857 ("Got my boat up this afternoon. . . .One end had frozen in.”); November 26, 1858 ("Got in boat on account of Reynolds’s new fence going up (earlier than usual”); November 29, 1860 ("Get up my boat, 7 a. m. Thin ice of the night is floating down the river.”); November 30, 1855 (“Got in my boat. River remained iced over all day.”); December 5, 1853 ("Got my boat in."); December 10, 1859 ("Get in my boat, in the snow. The bottom is coated with a glaze”); December 27, 1852 ("I took my new boat out") and A Book of the Seasons, by Henry Thoreau, Boat in. Boat out.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts Last 30 Days.

The week ahead in Henry’s journal

The week ahead in Henry’s journal
A journal, a book that shall contain a record of all your joy.
"A stone fruit. Each one yields me a thought." ~ H. D. Thoreau, March 28, 1859


I sit on this rock
wrestling with the melody
that possesses me.