Sunday, March 15, 2015

Foul weather all day.

March 15.
March 15, 2015
Jacob Farmer gave me to-day the foot of an otter, also of a fisher, -- to put with my pine marten’s foot. He cut them off of recent furs in Boston. 

He sells about a hundred mink skins in a year. Thinks not more than thirty or forty are caught in Concord in a year. He says (I think) a mink’s skin is worth two dollars! They are sent to Europe to be worn there, not for hats. 

Foul weather all day, -- at first a fine snow, and finally rain. Now, at 9 P. M., a clear sky. And so the storm which began evening of 13th ends.

H. D. Thoreau, Journal, March 15, 1855

Jacob Farmer gave me to-day the foot of an otter . . .See March 10, 1855 ("Jacob Farmer gave me to-day a part of the foot probably of a pine marten, which he found two or three days ago in a trap he had set in his brook for a mink, -- under water, baited with a pickerel.")

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts Last 30 Days.

The week ahead in Henry’s journal

The week ahead in Henry’s journal
A journal, a book that shall contain a record of all your joy.
"A stone fruit. Each one yields me a thought." ~ H. D. Thoreau, March 28, 1859


I sit on this rock
wrestling with the melody
that possesses me.