Sunday, November 8, 2015

Much warmer than this time last year.

November 8.

A quite warm and foggy morning. I can sit with my window open and no fire. Much warmer than this time last year. 

Though there is quite a fog over the river and doubtful weather behind, the reflection of the wool-grass, etc., is quite distinct, the reflection from the fog or mist making the water light for a background.

H. D. Thoreau, Journal, November 8, 1855

I can sit with my window open and no fire. Much warmer than this time last year. See October 26, 1854 ("As warm as summer. Cannot wear a thick coat. Sit with windows open."); October 31, 1854 ("W]e have had remarkably warm and pleasant Indian summer, with frequent frosts in the morning. Sat with open window for a week."); October 21, 1855 ("I sit with an open window, it is so warm."); October 10, 1856 ("This afternoon it is 80°, . . . I lie with window wide open under a single sheet most of the night").

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts Last 30 Days.

The week ahead in Henry’s journal

The week ahead in Henry’s journal
A journal, a book that shall contain a record of all your joy.
"A stone fruit. Each one yields me a thought." ~ H. D. Thoreau, March 28, 1859


I sit on this rock
wrestling with the melody
that possesses me.