Friday, January 29, 2016

A Book of the Seasons: January 29



The year is but a succession of days,
and I see that I could assign some office to each day
which, summed up, would be the history of the year.
Henry Thoreau, August 24, 1852


Snow collects upon
the pitch pine plumes in the form
of a pineapple. 
January 29, 1841

The stinging cold bites
my ears and face -- but the stars
shine all the brighter.

The rainbow-colored 
reflections from myriad
crystals of the snow. 

A very cold morning. Thermometer, or mercury, 18° below zero. January 29, 1854

Not cold. Sun comes out at noon. January 29, 1855

It is considerably colder. January 29, 1858

Colder than before, and not a cloud in the sky to-day.
 January 29, 1860

Half an inch or more of snow fell last night, the ground being half bare before. It was a snow of small flakes not star-shaped.  January 29, 1860

As usual, I now see, walking on the river and river-meadow ice, thus thinly covered with the fresh snow, that conical rainbow, or parabola of rainbow-colored reflections, from the myriad reflecting crystals of the snow, i. e., as I walk toward the sun, — always a little in advance of me, of course, angle of reflection being equal to that of incidence.  January 29, 1860

The rainbow-colored
reflections from myriad
crystals of the snow.
January 29, 1860

Since the 13th there has been at no time less than one foot on a level in open fields. January 29, 1856


The snow is probably about fourteen on a level in open fields now, or quite as deep as at any time this winter. January 29, 1856

The snow collects upon the plumes of the pitch pine in the form of a pineapple.  January 29, 1841


Tonight I feel it stinging cold as I come up the street at 9 o'clock; it bites my ears and face, but the stars shine all the brighter. January 29, 1854

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts Last 30 Days.

The week ahead in Henry’s journal

The week ahead in Henry’s journal
A journal, a book that shall contain a record of all your joy.
"A stone fruit. Each one yields me a thought." ~ H. D. Thoreau, March 28, 1859


I sit on this rock
wrestling with the melody
that possesses me.