[Worcester] Looked at a collection of the rarer plants made by Higginson and placed at the Natural History Rooms.
Among which noticed:
On way to Concord see mountain laurel out in Lancaster. Had seen none out in Worcester.
H. D. Thoreau, Journal, June 19, 1856
Thomas Wentworth Higginson (1823- 1911) was educated at Harvard where he developed interests in botany and entomology. From 1840-1841, Higginson was corresponding secretary and entomological curator of the Harvard Natural History Society; he was a member of the Boston Society of Natural History and of the Cambridge Entomological Club. He shared HDT’s antislavery views and in 1856 had just moved to Worcester, where he joined gatherings at Blake's house to read the letters that HDT wrote to Blake throughout the 1850’s. Mapping Thoreau Country.
Among which noticed:
- Ranunculus Purshii varieties a and b with no difference apparent, unless in upper leaves being more or less divided.
- Ribes lacustre, or swamp gooseberry, with a loose raceme such as I have not seen, from White Mountains.
- A circaea, or enchanter’s-nightshade, with a very large raceme and with longer branchlets than I have seen, methinks.
- Calla palustris, very different from the Peliandra Virginia.
- Cerastium arvense, with linear leaves, quite new to me.
- Smilacina stellata, from Dr. Harris, very different from the racemosa, being simple.
- Ledum latifolium, from White Mountains, rather broader-leafed than mine from Maine.
- Barbarea sativa, from Cambridge, apparently like my B. vulgaris.
On way to Concord see mountain laurel out in Lancaster. Had seen none out in Worcester.
H. D. Thoreau, Journal, June 19, 1856
| June 19. |
Looked at a collection of the rarer plants. See September 21, 1856 (" I have within a week found in Concord two of the new plants I found up-country. Such is the advantage of going abroad, — to enable [you] to detect your own plants. I detected them first abroad, because there I was looking for the strange."); June 9, 1857( "I have observed that where one rare plant grows there will commonly be others.")
Ribes lacustre, or swamp gooseberry. Thoreau recognized 2 kinds of gooseberry, swamp gooseberry and prickly gooseberry. See April 30, 1852 ("At Saw Mill Run the swamp gooseberry is partly leaved out. This . . . methinks is the earliest shrub or tree that shows leaves."; May 5, 1855 ("Gooseberry, both kinds "). SSeptember 8, 1856 (" Prickly gooseberry, with its bur-like fruit")
Calla palustris. See June 7, 1857 (“Pratt has got the Calla palustris, in prime . . . from the bog near Bateman's Pond”); June 9, 1857( “The calla is generally past prime and going to seed."); June 24, 1857 ("The Calla palustris, out of bloom,."); July 2, 1857 ("Calla palustris . . . at the south end of Gowing's Swamp. Having found this in one place, I now find it in another.")
Ledum latifolium: Rhododendron groenlandicum (Bog Labrador-tea) a diminutive shrub of cool, wet swamps, spruce forests, and muskeg recognized by its clusters of tiny white flowers and its folded-under leaves with brown hairs on the undersides. GoBotany. See July 25, 1857 (“Here [at Kimeo], . . .Labrador tea (Ledum latifolium), out of bloom."); February 4, 1858 ("To C. Miles Swamp. Discover the Ledum latifolium, quite abundant over a space about six rods in diameter just east of the small pond-hole . . . I had a presentiment that I should find the ledum in Concord. It is a remarkable fact that, in the case of the most interesting plants which I have discovered in this vicinity, I have anticipated finding them perhaps a year before the discovery.")
Smilacina racemosa with such long lower branchlets. See July 7, 1855 (Cape Cod) ("What that smilacina-like plant very common in the shrubbery,?"); June 19, 1857 (Cape Cod) ("The Smilacina racemosa was just out of bloom on the bank. They call it the "wood lily" there. Uncle Sam called it "snake-corn," and said it looked like corn when it first came up"). See also A Book of the Seasons, by Henry Thoreau, False Solomon's Sea
On way to Concord see mountain laurel out in Lancaster. Had seen none out in Worcester. See June 3, 1851 ("In Worcester near the hill; an abundance of mountain laurel on the hills, now budded to blossom") See also June 10, 1853 ("The mountain laurel will begin to bloom to-morrow."); June 12, 1854 ("Mountain laurel at [Walden]pond."); June 28, 1858 ("Mountain laurel on east side of the rocky Boulder Field wood is apparently in prime "); July 3, 1853 ("Mountain laurel lingers in the woods still.")
Mountain laurel seen
on way back to Concord – none
seen out in Worcester.
No comments:
Post a Comment