Friday, June 30, 2017

It does not rain.


June 30.

A. M. — To Ball's Hill.


June 30, 2017

Yesterday afternoon it was remarkably cool, with wind, it being easterly, and I anticipated a sea-turn. There was a little, a blue mistiness, ere long. 

The coolness continues, and this morning the sky is full of clouds, but they look to me like dog-day clouds and not rain-threatening. 

It does not rain.

H. D. Thoreau, Journal, June 30, 1857

Remarkably cool, with wind, it being easterly, and I anticipated a sea-turn. See June 30, 1859 ("Cooler, with a northerly wind."); June 30,1855 ("2 P. M. -- Thermometer north side of house, 95°") See also April 28, 1856(" ...on our return the wind changed to easterly, and I felt the cool, fresh sea-breeze."); April 30, 1856 ("at one o’clock there was the usual fresh easterly wind and sea-turn . . .and a fresh cool wind from the sea produces a mist in the air.")  See also A Book of the Seasons,  by Henry Thoreau, the Sea-turn

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts Last 30 Days.

The week ahead in Henry’s journal

The week ahead in Henry’s journal
A journal, a book that shall contain a record of all your joy.
"A stone fruit. Each one yields me a thought." ~ H. D. Thoreau, March 28, 1859


I sit on this rock
wrestling with the melody
that possesses me.