Friday, September 8, 2017

Do I perceive the shadows lengthen already?

September 8

Grapes ripe on the Assabet for some days.


September 8, 2017

Gentiana saponaria out. 

Carrion-flower berries ripe for some days. 

Polygala verticillata still, on left side of road beyond Lee place. I put it with the other polygalas in July. 

Do I perceive the shadows lengthen already?

September 8, 2017


H. D. Thoreau, Journal, September 8, 1852

Grapes ripe on the Assabet for some days. See note to September 8, 1854 ("The grapes would no doubt be riper a week hence, but I am compelled to go now before the vines are stripped. I partly smell them out.")

Gentiana saponaria out. See September 6, 1857 ("Soapwort gentian, out not long"); September 19, 1851 ("The soapwort gentian now."); September 19, 1852 ("The soapwort gentian cheers and surprises, -- solid bulbs of blue from the shade, the stale grown purplish. It abounds along the river, after so much has been mown"); September 22, 1852 ("The soapwort gentian the flower of the river-banks now.") September 25, 1857 ("You notice now the dark-blue dome of the soapwort gentian in cool and shady places under the bank.") See also A Book of the Seasons,  by Henry Thoreau, the Soapwort Gentian

Carrion-flower berries ripe. See September 3, 1856  ("One carrion-flower berry is turning blue in its dense spherical cluster.")


Polygala verticillata still, on left side of road. . .See September 10, 1856 ("Near the site of the old Bellows Fort, saw completely purple Polygala verticillata abundant in road.")   See also A Book of the Seasons, by Henry Thoreau,The Polygala

. . .left side of road beyond Lee place. See February 15, 1857 ("When I returned from Worcester yesterday morning, I found that the Lee house, of which six weeks ago I made an accurate plan, had been completely burned up the evening before, i. e. the 13th, while I was lecturing in Worcester.")

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts Last 30 Days.

The week ahead in Henry’s journal

The week ahead in Henry’s journal
A journal, a book that shall contain a record of all your joy.
"A stone fruit. Each one yields me a thought." ~ H. D. Thoreau, March 28, 1859


I sit on this rock
wrestling with the melody
that possesses me.