Tuesday, August 21, 2018

In the toad pool by Cyrus Hubbard’s corner.

August 21.

P. M. — A-berrying to Conantum. 

I notice hardhacks clothing their stems now with their erected leaves, showing the whitish under sides. A pleasing evidence of the advancing season. 

How yellow that kind of hedgehog sedge (Cyperus phymatodea), in the toad pool by Cyrus Hubbard’s corner. 

I still see the patch of epilobium on Bee Tree Hill as plainly as ever, though only the pink seed-vessels and stems are left.

H. D. Thoreau, Journal, August 21, 1858

The patch of epilobium on Bee Tree Hill. See July 28, 1858  ("Saw a pinkish patch on side-hill west of Baker Farm, which turned out to be epilobium.")

Bee Tree Hill. See September 30, 1852 ("After we got to the Baker Farm, to one of the open fields nearest to the tree I had marked, . . . We then took the path to Clematis Brook on the north of Mt. Misery,. . . and so repaired at once to the tree I had found, a hemlock two feet and a half in diameter on a side-hill a rod from the[Fair Haven] pond.")

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts Last 30 Days.

The week ahead in Henry’s journal

The week ahead in Henry’s journal
A journal, a book that shall contain a record of all your joy.
"A stone fruit. Each one yields me a thought." ~ H. D. Thoreau, March 28, 1859


I sit on this rock
wrestling with the melody
that possesses me.