Sunday, June 9, 2019

Hen-hawk's eggs

June 9, 1859

Thursday. A boy shows me one of three (apparent) hen-hawk's eggs, fresh, obtained on the 6th from a pine near Breed's house site.

H. D. Thoreau, Journal, June 9, 1859



Hen-hawk’s eggs. See March 2, 1856 ("I can hardly believe that hen-hawks may be beginning to build their nests now, yet their young were a fortnight old the last of April last year.”) ; May 1, 1855 ("The reason I did not see my hawks at Well Meadow last year was that he found and broke up their nest there, containing five eggs.”); and note to June 8, 1853 (“I hear a hawk scream, and, . . . its screaming is so incessant and it circles from time to time so near me, as I move southward, that I begin to think it has a nest near by and is angry at my intrusion into its domains. As I move, the bird still follows and screams, coming sometimes quite near. . . At length I detect the nest about eighty feet from the ground, in a very large white pine by the edge of the swamp. It is about three feet in diameter, of dry sticks, and a young hawk, apparently as big as its mother, stands on the edge.”). Compare June 8, 1858 (“The marsh hawk's eggs are not yet hatched. )

June 9. See A Book of the Seasons, by Henry Thoreau, June 9



A Book of the Seasons, by Henry Thoreau
"A book, each page written in its own season,
out-of-doors, in its own locality.”
~edited, assembled and rewritten by zphx © 2009-2021

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts Last 30 Days.

The week ahead in Henry’s journal

The week ahead in Henry’s journal
A journal, a book that shall contain a record of all your joy.
"A stone fruit. Each one yields me a thought." ~ H. D. Thoreau, March 28, 1859


I sit on this rock
wrestling with the melody
that possesses me.