Sunday, April 26, 2020

I feel as if I could go to sleep under a hedge.


April 26. 

April 26, 2012

Chickweed (Stellaria media), naturalized, shows its humble star-like white flowers now on rather dirty weather-worn branches in low, damp gardens.

Also the smaller white flowers of the shepherd's-purse, which is already six or eight inches high, in the same places, i. e. Cheney's garden. Both, according to Dewey, introduced and naturalized.

What they call April weather, threatening rain notwithstanding the late long-continued rains.

P. M. — Rambled amid the shrub oak hills beyond Hayden's.

Lay on the dead grass in a cup-like hollow sprinkled with half-dead low shrub oaks. As I lie flat, looking close in among the roots of the grass, I perceive that its endless ribbon has pushed up about one inch and is green to that extent, — such is the length to which the spring has gone here, — though when you stand up the green is not perceptible.

It is a dull, rain dropping and threatening afternoon, inclining to drowsiness. I feel as if I could go to sleep under a hedge. The landscape wears a subdued tone, quite soothing to the feelings; no glaring colors.

I begin now to leave off my greatcoat.

The frogs at a distance are now so numerous that, instead of the distinct shrill peeps, it is one dreamy sound. It is not easy to tell where or how far off they are. When you have reached their pool, they seem to recede as you advance. As you squat by the side of the pool, you still see no motion in the water, though your ears ring with the sound, seemingly and probably within three feet.

I sat for ten minutes on the watch, waving my hand over the water that they might betray themselves, a tortoise, with his head out, a few feet off, watching me all the while, till at last I caught sight of a frog under a leaf, and caught and pocketed him; but when I looked afterward, he had escaped.

The moment the dog stepped into the water they stopped. They are very shy. Hundreds filled the air with their shrill peep. Yet two or three could be distinguished by some peculiarity or variation in their note. Are these different?

The Viola ovata budded.

Saw pollywogs two or three inches long.

H. D. Thoreau, Journal, April 26, 1852


Chickweed shows its humble star-like white flowers. Also the smaller white flowers of the shepherd's-purse. See March 5, 1860 ("Chickweed and shepherd's-purse in bloom in C.'s garden");  April 13, 1858  ("Shepherd's-purse already going to seed; in bloom there some time. Also chickweed; how long? "); April 25, 1855 ("Shepherd’s-purse will bloom to-day")

I begin now to leave off my greatcoat. See April 26, 1854 ("It is now so warm that I go back to leave my greatcoat for the first time, and the cooler smell of possible rain is refreshing")

I sat for ten minutes on the watch, till at last I caught sight of a frog under a leaf, and caught and pocketed him. See March 27, 1853 (Stood perfectly still amid the bushes on the shore, before one showed himself; finally five or six, and all eyed me, gradually approached me within three feet to reconnoitre, and, though I waited about half an hour, would not utter a sound.")

The moment the dog stepped into the water they stopped. They are very shy. March 27, 1853 ("Tried to see the faint-croaking frogs at J. P. Brown's Pond in the woods. They are remarkably timid and shy; had their noses and eyes out, croaking, but all ceased, dove, and concealed themselves, before I got within a rod of the shore.")

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts Last 30 Days.

The week ahead in Henry’s journal

The week ahead in Henry’s journal
A journal, a book that shall contain a record of all your joy.
"A stone fruit. Each one yields me a thought." ~ H. D. Thoreau, March 28, 1859


I sit on this rock
wrestling with the melody
that possesses me.