Sunday, January 17, 2021

A meteorological journal of the mind.

  

Each experience reduces itself to a mood of the mind. 
Henry Thoreau
June 6, 1857

The unclouded mind,
serene, pure, ineffable
like the western sky.
January 17, 1852


April 24, 1859. The moods and thoughts of man are revolving just as steadily and incessantly as nature’s. 

May 6, 1854. I can be said to note the flower's fall only when I see in it the symbol of my own change. When I experience this, then the flower appears to me. 

May 23, 1853. Every new flower that opens, no doubt, expresses a new mood of the human mind. 

June 6, 1857. Each experience reduces itself to a mood of the mind. 

June 25, 1852. There is a flower for every mood of the mind. 

July 23, 1851. The mind is subject to moods, as the shadows of clouds pass over the earth. 

August 7, 1853. The objects I behold correspond to my mood. 

August 19, 1851. The poet must be continually watching the moods of his mind.

September 24, 1859. I would know when in the year to expect certain thoughts and moods. 

October 26, 1857. The seasons and all their changes are in me.  

November 2, 1857 It is only a reflecting mind that sees reflections. 

November 18, 1857. You cannot perceive beauty but with a serene mind. 

December 25, 1858. In a pensive mood I enjoy the complexion of the winter sky at this hour. 

December 27, 1851 The sky is always ready to answer to our moods.  

January 17, 1852. As the skies appear to a man, so is his mind. 

January 23, 1858. It is in vain to write on the seasons unless you have the seasons in you. 

January 26, 1852. Would you see your mind, look at the sky.

Daybreak with cool mind

a white cloud reflected in

yesterday’s river. 

June 29,2023


 A Book of the Seasons, by Henry Thoreau, 

A Book of the Seasons, by Henry Thoreau
"A book, each page written in its own season, 
out-of-doors, in its own locality."
~edited, assembled and rewritten by zphx © 2009-2020

  


 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts Last 30 Days.

The week ahead in Henry’s journal

The week ahead in Henry’s journal
A journal, a book that shall contain a record of all your joy.
"A stone fruit. Each one yields me a thought." ~ H. D. Thoreau, March 28, 1859


I sit on this rock
wrestling with the melody
that possesses me.