Monday, February 1, 2021

The old window of diamond squares, set in lead,



February 1

Surveying the Hunt farm. 

Saw a duck in the river; different kind from the last. 

Dr. Bartlett tells me that it was Adam Winthrop, a grandson of the Governor, who sold this farm to Hunt in 1701. I saw the old window, some eighteen inches square, of diamond squares, four or five inches across, set in lead, on the back side the house.

H. D. Thoreau, Journal, February 1, 1853

Saw a duck in the river; different kind from the last.  See January 29, 1853  ("Melvin calls the ducks which I saw yesterday sheldrakes; being small, then wood sheldrakes. [I judge from the plate they were velvet ducks, or white-winged coots.]")

Adam Winthrop, a grandson of the Governor sold this farm to Hunt in 1701. See March 18, 1857 ("It is to be observed that in the old deed of the Hunt farm, written in 1701, though the whole, consisting of something more than one hundred and fifty acres, is minutely described in thirteen different pieces, no part is described as woodland or wood-lot, only one piece as partly unimproved.")

 I saw the old window on the back side the house. See  February 17, 1857 ("To the old Hunt house. . . .This house is about forty-nine feet on the front by twenty."); December 20, 1857 ("The cellar stairs at the old Hunt house are made of square oak timbers "); February 9, 1858 ("The stairs of the old back part are white pine or spruce, each the half of a square log");  March 11, 1859 ("To Hunt house. I go to get one more sight of the old house which Hosmer is pulling down, but I am too late to see much of it."); March 13, 1859 ("The Hunt house, to draw from memory, . . .looked like this :
 

March 14, 1859 ("I judge by my eye that the house is fifteen feet high to the eaves. The posts are remarkably sawn and hewn away on account of the projection of the upper story, so that they are more than twice as large above as below."); March 18, 1859 ("I, with others, saw by the frame of the old Hunt house that an addition had been made to its west end in 1703.");March 27, 1859 ("Those chalk-marks on the chamber-floor joists and timbers of the Hunt house, one of which was read by many "Feb. 1666,""); September 22, 1859 ("I went past the Hunt cellar, where Hosmer pulled down the old house in the spring, );

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts Last 30 Days.

The week ahead in Henry’s journal

The week ahead in Henry’s journal
A journal, a book that shall contain a record of all your joy.
"A stone fruit. Each one yields me a thought." ~ H. D. Thoreau, March 28, 1859


I sit on this rock
wrestling with the melody
that possesses me.