Saturday, March 27, 2021

A hawk by meadow.


 March 27.

Saw a hawk -- probably marsh hawk -- by meadow.

H. D. Thoreau, Journal, March 27, 1854

Saw a hawk -- probably marsh hawk -- by meadow. See March 27, 1855 ("See my frog hawk. . . . It is the hen-harrier, i.e. marsh hawk, male. Slate-colored; beating the bush; black tips to wings and white rump"); March 17, 1860 (" Was not that a marsh hawk, a slate-colored one which I saw flying over Walden Wood with long, slender, curving wings, with a diving, zigzag flight? "); March 21, 1859 ("I see a female marsh hawk sailing and hunting over Potter's Swamp. I not only see the white rump but the very peculiar crescent-shaped curve of its wings."); Marsh 24, 1860 (". I see a male frog hawk beating a hedge, scarcely rising more than two feet from the ground for half a mile."); March 29, 1853 (" I believe I saw the slate-colored marsh hawk to-day. "); March 29, 1854 ("See two marsh hawks, white on rump.") See also A Book of the Seasons, by Henry Thoreau, the Marsh Hawk (Northern Harrier)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts Last 30 Days.

The week ahead in Henry’s journal

The week ahead in Henry’s journal
A journal, a book that shall contain a record of all your joy.
"A stone fruit. Each one yields me a thought." ~ H. D. Thoreau, March 28, 1859


I sit on this rock
wrestling with the melody
that possesses me.