Tuesday, September 19, 2023

To see what was primitive about our Concord River.



September 19   

Monday. [The Maine Woods]

I looked very narrowly at the vegetation as we glided along close to the shore, and now and then made Joe turn aside for me to pluck a plant, that I might see what was primitive about our Concord River.

H. D Thoreau, Journal, September 19, 1853 

See September 21, 1856 ("I have within a week found in Concord two of the new plants I found up-country. Such is the advantage of going abroad, — to enable to detect your own plants. I detected them first abroad, because there I was looking for the strange.") See also August 30, 1856 ("I shall never find in the wilds of Labrador any greater wildness than in some recess in Concord"); September 2, 1856  ("It commonly chances that I make my most interesting botanical discoveries when I am in a thrilled and expectant mood, . . .  prepared for strange things."); July 31, 1857 ("A new plant, the halenia or spurred gentian, which I observed afterward on the carries all the way down to near the mouth of the East Branch,"); November 20, 1857 ("We only need travel enough to give our intellects an airing."); November 23, 1860 ("I sail the unexplored sea of Concord")

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts Last 30 Days.

The week ahead in Henry’s journal

The week ahead in Henry’s journal
A journal, a book that shall contain a record of all your joy.
"A stone fruit. Each one yields me a thought." ~ H. D. Thoreau, March 28, 1859


I sit on this rock
wrestling with the melody
that possesses me.